May 1st: Last Day of Immersion










Last lesson day of my HHHL immersion month was focused on reminders about my position (a never ending journey of learning, made even more challenging as my body parts age :-) and challenges of  beginning to improve lateral movements. Key to leg yields is having horse straight, as well as my body with quiet hands and legs. Look where on rail I want to end up, so I have a focus. And, softly direct with outside rein, while only correcting for straightness with inside rein, if needed. Hands together and use elbow and shoulders (torso) to control direction. It should be easy and fluid. Riiiiight.


Shoulder-in was easier for us, and again, remember to keep my hands quiet. My torso is in same direction as Toby’s shoulder/head and leg aids are subtle. 


Haunches-in is not easy for us. It was difficult for Toby to bend around my leg and place haunches in while bending. It was hard for me to keep my dang legs long. This will be an area for improvement. Luckily, the lesson was videoed, so I can go back and review and practice until I think we are getting it. It was a challenging lessons, but fun because Linda’s team was also riding, and they all joined in on the last exercise. A wonderful, supportive and talented group of women.

 

I spent the afternoon packing and returned to Linda’s for a dinner, which was a thoughtful celebration of my last night and great fun. Linda spend time with me before dinner to review my progress and my future training plans.


The dinner was tasty, the company engaging, and a perfect ending to a magical month for me. Not sure when I’ll next be able to indulge myself ... by disappearing from real life for a full month with my horse, focusing on our relationship and tuning up my riding competences under the tutelage of the talented Linda Parelli. I am sure that this experience will be a memorable milestone in my continuing journey to improve my horsemanship with my willing and fun little horse, Toby.

I am a realist and know that I am 75 years old, but I have to say, I did not feel tired or particularly old this month. And, I am planning to be stronger, more agile and balanced in 5 years than I am today. And, why not? 80 is the new 60, I hear.  ðŸ˜ƒ


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 14: A Bit about Bits

Fourteen Years Ago