April 10 Super Sunday

 Sunday, April 10

Because Courtney was conducting a Clinic today, I had a private lesson with Linda in the morning. I wanted to tackle the “dreaded blue tarp” and work on Liberty with focus on improving my clarity of requests and becoming more subtle and graceful in my asks.

I have been working on crossing crinkly plastic tarps for 14 years, and he is always skeptical at first, but eventually will go over it. I knew that something was askew for him to always be nervous about it. So, asked Linda to help me figure it out.

Linda coached me on how to approach/retreat, and the subtleties of reading when he is worried versus trying/thinking versus tuned out. Also, when to draw him toward me and send (a sort of mini “twirl and swirl”) and when to do nothing, so he can process and usually lick ‘n chew or sigh.

Linda noted from his behavior that when Toby does go over the tarp, it is more about his being obedient than being confident. He knows what I am asking, but lacks full confidence in doing it. I need to keep proving to him that I am allowing him to decide. So, we are focusing on my leadership to develop Toby’s self confidence about crossing the tarp.

Some reminders for me …

Keep arms relaxed when he is trying and/or thinking

Direct his nose toward center of tarp (to prevent his running me over if he spooks or scoots crossing the tarp.)

Practice each day, but don’t become fanatical about it. Sometimes purposely walk past it, not asking for a walk across.

After several successful tarp crossing, we went into round pen for a Liberty lesson. Once the halter and line are removed, you can quickly tell if you and your horse are connected. We did some “stick to me” (where horses head stays next to your shoulder at any speed or backward, and stays with you where ever you turn or direction you go. Toby was close to a Quality of 9-10 doing this. My goal was to improve clarity in my asks, especially between change of direction and spins. And, now that Toby is more advanced to develop my requests so they are more subtle and graceful. 

Linda showed a lovely and graceful way to change direction while moving Toby to my other side. So, say I am on the inside of round pen, with Toby next to me and along the rail, then we both turn toward center, and I touch him on neck too move away (thus, he’ll slow down). I continue walking so I am in front of him and change my stick to other hand and swish so he changes sides. Keep walking across center to other side of arena, encouraging him to join me at my outside shoulder and when reach the rail, change direction. Do this in a sweeping, graceful movement and you truly are dancing with your horse.

Also, with stick-to-me, if I need to have him get closer to my shoulder, look over my outside shoulder. If he doesn’t catch up, thump his hindquarters with string to encourage him to catch up. Goal is that just a slight glance over my shoulder is cue to Toby to catch up.

Toby is so willing, and last year I taught him to spin.  However, I was sometimes getting a spin when I was asking for a change direction and vice versus. Linda watched and saw I was not being clear or consistent with my communication.

Difference in ask between Change of Direction and a Spin

o  Change of Direction: Horse is circling around the round pen to the left. Human is in center of pen, facing at 12noon. When horse is at 10 o’clock, step back to draw (still facing noon), change stick to other hand, and send other way. Step forward. Body is always facing at 12 noon.

o  For Spin: Horse is circling around the round pen to the left. Human is in center of pen, facing at 12noon. When horse is at 9 o’clock, step back to draw, leave stick in same hand. When horse’s nose is facing you, step forward in a slight arc to encourage nose to continue into a full turn and then send horse with energy at zone 5 (behind tail) to encourage forward motion

When I asked with clarity, Toby said “ Well, thanks, now I know what you want me to do. Before, I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to stand on my head or do a somersault.”

The afternoon was also special.. I joined Courtney’s clinic for the afternoon. It was called Ride In and Ride Out and was focused on just that… things to do in and out of the arena (to foster connection in both  horse and ride and have fun doing! Courtney lead us through some checkout exercises (and aim for a quality of 7 or above) … rein isolations included back up, turn on haunches, smooth yield of head and neck, and yield hindquarters with light touch of heel. 

Courtney then divided us into three groups, based on the horses and/or riders comfort level (e.g., the 3 year horse needs a stress-free focus, while the more experienced horse needs some challenges.)

I was in Michelle’s group with a couple of other women (NYers who winter in FL.), and we had a blast! We played follow the leader at different gaits and speeds; leapfrog (horse and rider at end pass by other riders to take the lead; canter into, through and out other side of the arena; ride a moving pinwheel, and other fun things. Toby was wonderfully cooperative … connected, relaxed, responsive, confident, good impulsive, and flexible. As I said, it was a blast. Kudos to Courtney for designing a meaningful and fun event, and thanks to Michelle for being a great group leader. I feel so lucky to have been able to join the afternoon. An incredible day of learning and fun for me and Toby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 1st: Last Day of Immersion

April 14: A Bit about Bits

Fourteen Years Ago